Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pride and Blocking....

I realize I may very well offend someone (or many ones) with this post, so I apologize in advance and this is my personal disclaimer. But I fear I must rant today. To some it may not seem like a very important or necessary topic to rant about, but I must get it off my chest nonetheless. Quite simply, it boils down to this: Don't tell me what to post on my Facebook page. Just. Don't. And more specifically, don't bitch about how annoying you find my running posts to be.

Here's the thing. I'd say I'm sorry that my posts about how far I ran today are annoying to you, but I'm really not sorry. Not at all. Not even a little bit. I'm proud of how far I ran today. I'm proud of that accomplishment. Because 3 years ago I was 40 pounds overweight, unhappy, out of shape, with bad knees and a bad attitude. I wanted to start a running program I heard about, the Couch to 5K program, but I was so embarrassed by my appearance I couldn't bring myself to run out in public. So I started out doing laps in my privacy fenced-in back yard. Now 3 years later, I just have bad knees and a bad attitude, and I can run 4+ miles at a time, confidently and in public, and I am proud of that accomplishment. And I'm not sorry if that accomplishment annoys you. 

Because I'm going to be as proud of that accomplishment as you are of all yours. I mean, seriously, if you can be proud of the fact that you just prepared a vegan, organic, gluten-free, 7 course meal for your family using only raw free-range ingredients grown by local farmers, I can be proud of my run. If you can be post with pride that your child is now sleeping through the night, or potty trained, or meeting some other milestone, I can post my run with pride. If you can post pictures of drinks you and your friends have consumed while out partying your brains out, I refuse to be believe that my run postings are the most annoying thing on your news feed. If you can proudly post links to every political hot-button issue out there and your personal political opinion on each and every issue, I can be proud of and post my personal achievements. If you can post pictures from Pinterest of craft ideas that haven't a shot in hell of EVER being duplicated accurately in any version of reality, I can post about something that I was actually able to do in real life.

I'm not naive. I get that sometimes the things that I think are "post worthy" might not seem "post worthy" to others. But rather than imply that YOUR vision of Facebook posting should be everyone else's vision of Facebook posting by sending up messages that say I shouldn't post about my run unless I was being chased by something, perhaps you could understand that maybe its not your place to judge what I do or do not post. And if you have  a real, substantial, and serious problem with my run posts, here's a suggestion: Block. Me. Yup, block my ass right the hell off your page. Just like I do when I don't like something, or it becomes too much, or too annoying. Rather than make passive-aggressive posts on Facebook about how annoying I find it to be, I just block that shit. Why the hell should they give a shit about my opinion? Why the hell should my opinion on what they post matter to them? Who the hell am I to tell them they should or shouldn't post whatever annoying shit they are posting? Exactly. So you won't be surprised to learn that I don't give a shit about your opinion that my run postings are annoying. Your opinion of my run postings really doesn't matter to me because I am proud of what those posts mean to ME and MY journey. And I'm not really sure who the hell you think you are trying to imply that I should structure MY Facebook posts around what will or will not annoy YOU. 

So block me. Because I will continue to post the accomplishments I am proud of. I will continue to post things that relate to me on a personal and meaningful level. And I will continue to run when I run and post about it if I choose. And I will continue to read about your menu for last nights dinner, your child's band/chorus/play performance, your most recent vacation or girls/boys night out, your latest craft project/home renovation, and the latest political survey/poll/article/issue you find important and relevant. And when it gets too much, have no fear - I will not hesitate to block your ass whenever I feel necessary. Just as I encourage you to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment