Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Birthday Addendum

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. I beg forgiveness. I must set the record straight and clear my husband's good name. In my last post, I mentioned my most recent birthday experience. While I do stand by what I wrote, I must provide an addendum to that post based on recent events in the last 24 hours at my house.

Last night while we were sitting around as a family watching the football games, I was surprised by my husband with a chocolate cake and ice cream, and a family rendition of Happy Birthday. It was a wonderful surprise. So for the record, I will no longer refer to my 7 hour car trip gas station cookies as my birthday celebration for this year. No, this year it was sitting around with my wonderful family watching NFL football playoffs and as a family, polishing off the entire cake AND a whole half-gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Not caring that the kids were eating too much junk, or that it was too close to bedtime to be eating desserts, or that the sugar high was going to be delaying bedtimes by a ridiculously annoying length of time. Just enjoying each other and the sharing the joy of eating a whole cake together. It was such a wonderful feeling to know that we were all enjoying our time together. I have a wonderful family, and a wonderful husband, and I am so lucky to have them. We aren't perfect. Not as individuals or as a unit, and I don't think that we are an exception. So in the spirit of full disclosure, I now consider last night to be my "birthday" this year and for the record, it was all I wanted it to be. I love my family.

Bonus information learned last night: Someone reads this blog. Even if it is just my husband, and it made him feel bad and it got me a birthday re-do. I now have the reassurance that at least one other person is reading what I write here. Thanks, honey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment